Saturday, May 7, 2011

I share my home with Carpenter Bees

A hoard of bees live in my window. Yes, IN the rotting wood of my window. The window that I opened and closed millions of times during the winter, probably shaking them in their torpor, but that I am now afraid to touch.

There is apparently a hole at the bottom of the window, right where the window meets the screen which I haven't touched for ... weeks now at this point.



The sound is deafening and I am petrified that they will keep burrowing through until a hole comes out on the INside of the window.

I just examined them closely from my window, trying to get a good picture of them and also find out what kind they were. But I could tell they were staring back at me and laughing at me in their little bee voices- and would swerve away every time I tried to get a good picture of them.

At first I thought they were bumble bees, and was almost comforted by the fact that I was a bit like Winnie the Poo in my storybook apartment. But then I read that Bumble bees don't ruin wood- and are fuzzier and cuter than my kind.

So.... Google "Bee Identification".

"Carpenter Bees: Male carpenter bees are solid black, they also cannot sting. The females are tan in color and sting quite well. (great.) Carpenter bees are sometimes mistaken for bumblebees (yes), however carpenter bees are shiny with less hair (yes). Their flight is faster than a bumblebee’s, and is also a more jerky flight, very similar to a hummingbird (hence their asshole-ish hover-then-swerve right when I try to take a picture). Carpenter bees are solitary bees burrowing holes the size of a dime or penny into wood patio covers, eaves, and other places. Average size is one inch in length."

Yes, but these bees are not solitary. There are quite a few, Google.


"It has been occasionally reported that when females cohabit, there may be a division of labor between them, where one female may spend most of her time as a guard within the nest, motionless and near the entrance, while another female spends most of her time foraging for provisions."

Great, so, there is one just guarding the hole (maybe the one that keeps staring me down) and a few going out. (there are at least 4. at LEAST).

the best I could get was her far-away ass as she hovered far away. I hate them.
I have not moved my screen because of them and the pollen has accumulated... (Edit: Actually it is wood from the bee's window holes.)

So, as if I needed a new enemy, I now have some loud bees making my spring-time less wonderful.

Maybe I will find a way to kill them.... we'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

say whatever you want