Sunday, July 17, 2011

Eminem Wrote Songs About Household Chores

To shed some more light on the naive girl I was in my youth: I didn't like rap.

Maybe this was because I followed my mother blindly (e.g. She didn't like Madonna (because of her message and pointy boobs) so when I was 6, I would ask all my babysitters if they liked Madonna, and when they said yes, I would say: "oh... welllll, my mom doesn't" and then give them a look like: I am so sorry that you can't also be approved of by my mother, like me. We can't all be perfect and well-behaved, I guess). And you had better believe she did not like rap.

Or maybe I didn't like rap because I was a ballerina sort of girl. Or because it frustrated me that I couldn't sing along to rap. Or because I was afraid of it. Or because it reminded me of school dances: being brutally bored and brutally uncomfortable in high heels bopping around to Nelly.

I just don't know. All I know is by the time Eminem was all the rage (I just googled the year) "Cleanin' Out My Closet" had already hit big. Or whatever. I don't really know because I didn't pay attention.

I was ... 14. 14! A full blown teenager in the early 2000s.


I still thought his name was "M&M" and all I really knew of him was "Will the real slim shady please stand up? Please Stand Up?" from the radio. But I would always change the station to something playing Avril Levigne... or more likely: "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack. 

I remember I was walking from the cookie and ice cream store with one of my friends, I think Nicole, but I can't be sure, and she was saying how much she loved Eminem (probably thinking I would agree).

I said that I didn't like M&M because I really wasn't a fan of rap.

She said "Really!? God, his album Cleaning Out My Closet is so gooood"

I said "See! I mean, I don't get him at all! First of all his name is weird. And then why on earth is he writing a song about cleaning his room? That is the stupidest thing I ever heard."


"Caroline... its a metaphor. He means like examining his life choices. You know like... "skeletons in your closet" "

Schooled.

But, just to be fair, Lee Ann Womack was pretty profound, too. I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance either, Lee Ann.

2 comments:

  1. I hate to say I still don't think you get it. Often times, people who attempt suicide feel like such a burden on those around them they will clean before they go to save their friends, family the trouble. This includes cleaning out lockers, closets. Such behavior can be an indication of suicide. I always believed that's what this song was about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair Enough! My 8th grade friend led me further astray and I clearly didn't have the knowledge to question it! Thanks for the response anyhow!
    -Caroline

    ReplyDelete

say whatever you want