Friday, July 13, 2012

Full Length Mirror Fail

Yesterday I had my first real-job interview that wasn't for an ice cream shop, a restaurant, a babysitting job ... and wasn't an acting audition.

I have this mildy appropriate dress from Anthropologie that my mom told me looked like a "Mom's Easter Dress" as she tried to talk me out of buying it.

Mom's Easter dress? Perfect. Perfect for the office!

Geometric Daisy Dress
this is not me.


But here is the real problem: I don't have a full length mirror in my apartment. I wish I could say its because I am like the Beast, who has no mirrors in my castle because I can't stand to look at my hideous form. Sometimes that is actually true. But that is not why I don't have a full length mirror.

There was a full length mirror on a closet door in the kitchen that I removed so I could fit a refrigerator inside. Because I need a lot of food stocked at all times. And the mini-fridge that everyone assumes is a dishwasher, was not cutting it.

And since I removed that closet door and put it in the overhead sideways storage closet, I have not had a full length mirror for 2 years.

1. Sometimes I use my photobooth video recorder as a full length mirror. That proves to be very strange and vain when I watch back a movie of myself. Well- only vain if I decide my outfit is acceptable. And just kind of sad if I decide I need to change it- because then I have to re-record a video -and it takes a LOT OF TIME.

2. The other thing I do, is stand on a flimsy wooden chair and look in my half mirror that sits on my dresser. This doesn't show my calves or feet, but it is better than nothing. I have known for a while that there might be some fatal ending to this practice, because the chair is very fragile, and I am very clumsy.

Well, yesterday, that day of days, it was 15 minutes before I was leaving for my office audition, and I was standing on that flimsy chair, and I fell. And in springing into action and landing on my feet instead of my neck, I ripped the bottom of that Maternal Easter Dress. I had no other dresses available in my closet because they are all specific to helping me look like Mary Poppins or Maria Von Trapp, etc.

So I wore it anyway - with a safety pin that hid very little of the rip.

Interview-wise, I think the photoshop test portion went alright, but the proofreading test was no bueno. I got a little comma happy, and started trying to wonder "how many typos would one logically put in each paragraph on a test proofread?". Also, if you can tell by this blog, my punctuation is questionable.

Moral: Get a full length mirror. Keep the babysitting job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

say whatever you want